Tuesday, December 07, 2010

NY Times Article and iCAT Users

You have all been made aware of this article and the Imaging Sciences response by now. We had a patient call our office the day after this article came out with questions about his scan. We have had several more since then. We are in the process of drafting a response for all of our staff, receptionists and technicians, to use when patients question the cone beam scans.

How do you handle patient radiation concerns in your office? Do you have a standardized response that all of your staff uses? Do you have a handout for your patients to answer their radiation concerns?

Vickie

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt Kroona said...

We have had ZERO response to that article. In fact, we get very few questions about radiation, but then we don't do ANY scans for orthodontists. I always downplay the risk, tell them it is roughly equal to a fmx, and if necessary, I remind them that life is full of risk vs benefit choices. In their case, the benefit far exceeds any risk and so they can proceed with full confidence. I might have a harder time using that line on the parents of a kid who is getting a scan so that they can shorten their ortho treatment by 6 months.

2:18 PM  
Blogger devery said...

I have not had any response to the article. I have decided to send a letter to all my referring scan docs to inform them of different collimation choices regarding reduction of exposure. I will use the statement that ISI sent to us but I have had this information for many years regarding the comparison of exposures. I am the one who answers questions regarding radiation because I am the tech.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Amos said...

Here is the link to the ADA's talking points in regards to this issue:

http://www.ada.org/EPUBS/assets/ememo/NYT-Cone-Beam-Talking-Points.pdf

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home