Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Unexamined Life

The unexamined life is not worth living (Socrates). Do you ever realized how fortunate we are to not be living in the short hand, steno pad, IBM Selectric, white out, carbon paper, bankers hours world than many (some) of our parents grew up in? Our world is one that is characterized by version numbers, megahertz and gigabytes. We live in a time where brand new technology can be developed, introduced, and find it's way into our lives in less time than it takes for the lease on our car to expire. In my business, I am constantly asking the question, "Why do we do it like that?" Why do we schedule patients, pay bills, make payroll, do bookkeeping, print photos, take 40 second i-CAT scans, (etc.) the way we do? The question that follows is often, "Is there a better way?" Some people are content simply knowing that something works. I am not content until I know WHY it works, and if I've done everything in my power to optimize it. That is why this group of people (i-CAT Users Group) has become so significant to me. Kathleen Cox wrote recently that you "rock her world". Well you rock MY world too! To be able to post and respond to questions using this forum is an amazing thing. Do you think I post too much or too often? Be glad I don't post EVERY thought that enters my mind regarding how and why the amazing i-CAT machine works! Patty Austin sings a song that includes the lyrics "Sometimes I drive so fast I scare myself!" That's how I feel sometimes. There's so much to learn and know, and things change so fast that just keeping up with it can be a monumental task. Forget about getting ahead... keeping up is a full time job! So, don't minimize the importance of this forum. If you have a question, ASK IT! If you have a suggestion, SHARE IT! Together we can help each other keep our heads above water and prepare for each wave of technology that is destined to wash over us.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric Iwamoto said...

Well said...

11:58 AM  
Blogger Craig Dial said...

Nicely said Matt, you are right about technology. It is easier to keep up than to catch up. This forum is a helpful tool for us to gather and share idea’s and asks questions. Most offices are islands, not having anyone to bounce off ideas or suggestions. This forum acts like one big imaging center with 30 + technologists asking if there is a better way, and testing if the new way will be best.

This forum is great, but there is no replacement for face to face meetings, this is why I highly recommend attending the users meeting this fall. Sometimes the most valuable piece of information that really “makes a difference” that you get from these meetings is not what comes from a lecture (although they are usually great), but it is a small tid bit that you pick up in conversation between peers. As the cell phone commercial say “so go a head, talk it up” right here in this forum, but we would love to see all of you at the fall meeting.

Also, I am not one who likes to do self promotions, but DDI’s I-Cat classes are very helpful in learning so much about the i-cat, and understanding why something is done a certain way. For every feature on this machine, there is a risk and benefit, we need to balance these two and use these tools to best solve the clinical problem. For information on the “hands on” courses, log onto www.ddiu.com or e-mail me personally.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Matt Kroona said...

I couldn't agree more with Craig. I think that with very few exceptions, virtually every innovation or change that has found it's way into my lab has it's roots in something I've seen or heard at a meeting, demonstration, or visit to another lab. By far the biggest influence on me over the years has been the annual convention. If you are interested at all in keeping up with what's happening in our field, you won't want to miss this years convention. I've already sent in my registration and reserved my hotel. See you there?

9:31 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

It is a privilege to be a part of this group, which brings in contagious passion and enthusiasm. We were fortunate to be a part of an unprecendted revolution in computing and communication technologies in the last 20 years, which simply transformed the lives of human beings. What we had not even dreamed of is being part of a revolution of no less significance in the dental imaging arena. How many generations can claim to have witnessed 2 once in a lifetime experiences?

Arun

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home